Why are hosts asked to respond within 24 hours?
Hosts are asked to respond to booking requests, inquiries, and all other messages from guests within 24 hours because quick responses build trust in our hosting community, making it easier for guests to find a space.
If you got an inquiry or booking request, responding within 24 hours helps you move toward a confirmed booking. Guests who have already booked or are getting ready to check-in appreciate quick responses, too.
What counts as a response?
A response depends on what kind of communication you got from the guest.
- If you have a booking request, accepting, declining, or sending a message counts as a response
- If you have an inquiry, you can do any of the following to respond within 24 hours:
- Send an offer for the guest to book your space if it's free
- Send a message
- Decline if you’re not able to host
- For all other messages from current or potential guests, send a message to keep your response rate up
What if I don’t respond within 24 hours?
Taking longer than 24 hours to respond will count as a late response, which will decrease your response rate and increase your response time. Your response rate can impact your listing’s position in search results.
Learn more about response rate and how it’s calculated.