What factors determine how my listing appears in search results?
The goal of the thisopenspace search ranking algorithm is to help guests find the perfect space for whatever they are planning—and help hosts find guests who are a great fit for their space.
The exact list of features we consider is confidential, but here are the basic categories:
Guest needs: We review factors related to the guest, including where they’re searching from, their previous bookings, which listings they’ve added to their Wish List or clicked on, and more.
Listing details: We consider things like the number of five-star reviews, price, location of the listing, how quickly the host of the space responds to requests, and many other factors.
If you’re interested in more detail, here are some specifics:
To understand how guests have responded to your listing in previous searches, we explore numerous signals, but two important factors are:
- Clicks in search results: When a listing appears in search results, we consider it a good sign if a guest clicks on that listing to learn more. To ensure that this is fair for our whole host community, we only count clicks from different guests.
- Requests from a listing page: We review how often guests request to book when they look at your listing. We find that successful listings do a good job of helping guests decide to book.
These are some of the factors that hosts have the most control over:
- Reviews: Search ranking calculates the number of bookings that have been completed, and the reviews and ratings that were left by guests. While good reviews are essential to performing well in search, a small number of negative ratings or missed reviews from guests will not necessarily have a substantial impact on your ranking.
- Price: We find that price is one of the big deciding factors for our guests when comparing listings. For that reason, it’s important to set a competitive price within your market.
- New listings: To make sure brand new hosts can get established successfully, we make sure new listings show up well in search rankings.
Guest booking experience
The best way to ensure guests continue to choose thisopenspace is to make sure their experience is positive, so we elevate listings with hosts that have a proven track record of responsiveness.
- Response rate and response time: All else equal, responding to requests within 24 hours is likely to improve your ranking in search.
- Rejections: Search ranking tracks how many guests make a request to book but are denied. Occasionally declining a booking is necessary, so similar to other factors in search ranking we're interested in broad patterns over weeks and months, rather than individual rejections.
Visibility in search
Although not specifically a part of search ranking, part of performing well in search is being eligible and visible for searches in your market. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
- Minimum and maximum nights: To show up in searches in which a guest chooses dates, a listing must have a suitable number of minimum and maximum booking period. Should a host wish to appear in the maximum number of searches, it’s recommended to reduce the minimum booking period as much as possible, and similarly increase the maximum booking.
We’re constantly updating our system to achieve the best results for hosts and guests on the platform, so these factors can be adjusted and tested.