Review Policy ⚡️NEW!
Effective December 1, 2020
In order to build a platform of trust, we need to ensure that reviews on thisopenspace are useful, informative, and do not expose our community to harm. Therefore, thisopenspace expects that all reviews adhere to the following:
1. Reviews should not violate our content policy.
Some content is never allowed on thisopenspace. Read the Content Policy.
2. Reviews should be unbiased.
Reviews are most helpful when they provide unbiased information. Therefore, we don't allow individuals or entities who own or are affiliated with a listing to post reviews of their business.
You are not allowed to incentivize positive reviews, to use the threat of a negative review to manipulate a desired outcome, or to influence another’s review with the promise of compensation.
You are also not allowed to accept fake bookings in exchange for a positive review, use a second account to leave yourself a review, or coordinate with business partners to get positive reviews.
3. Reviews should be relevant.
Keep your reviews relevant to thisopenspace and your booking. Other hosts and guests are reading your reviews to learn about the host and listing. Reviews that are off-topic are distracting and don’t help our guests make informed booking decisions. For this reason, reviews should focus on your interactions with other community members and your time during the booking.
To keep reviews relevant, we recommend avoiding the following:
- Commentary about a person’s social, political, or religious views
- Profanity, name-calling, and assumptions about a person’s character or personality
- Content that refers to circumstances entirely outside of another’s control
- Commentary about past thisopenspace bookings, hosts, or guests.
When we receive a report of a review that violates this policy, we may remove the review from our platform. Repeated violations may lead to suspension or permanent deactivation of responsible account(s).
Reporting a review that violates this policy
To report a review for violating thisopenspace's review policy, email us.
If you feel a review is untrue
While we encourage and expect all community members to post reviews that contain objective and accurate information, thisopenspace does not mediate disputes concerning truth or fairness. We expect the author of the review to stand behind the content of their review. Learn how to respond to a review.
Removal of reviews
We believe that a healthy review system is one that respects and protects our community’s genuine feedback. For that reason, we take the removal of any review very seriously. A review will be removed if:
- The review is in violation of the Content Policy.
- The review is biased, or
- The review is irrelevant to the author’s experience on thisopenspace.
Moderating for bias
Our community benefits most when reviews present an unbiased picture of the member’s experience. Thisopenspace removes reviews when they exhibit inappropriate bias—for example because the reviewer is attempting to extort the person being reviewed or has a conflict of interest.
Extortion or incentivization
Any attempt to use reviews or review responses to force a person to do something they aren’t obligated to do is a misuse of reviews, and we don’t allow it.
People who use thisopenspace aren’t allowed to tie positive reviews to promises of compensation or to threaten negative reviews if a desired outcome is not met. Violations may result in the restriction, suspension or termination of your thisopenspace account.
This policy prohibits:
- Guests threatening to use reviews or ratings in an attempt to force a host to provide refunds, additional compensation, or a reciprocal positive review.
- Hosts requiring a guest to leave a positive review or rating, or to revise a review in exchange for a partial or full refund, or a reciprocal review. Hosts also cannot offer a free or discounted booking in exchange for a guest revising an existing review.
- Hosts or guests asking someone to take specific actions related to a review in exchange for the resolution of a dispute.
This policy does not prohibit:
- A guest from contacting a host with a problem prior to leaving a review.
- A host or guest seeking refunds or additional payment and leaving a review—where that review is not used as a threat to sway the outcome of a resolution.
- A host from asking a guest to leave an honest positive review or rating reflecting a positive experience.
Why reviews can be left for bookings that require thisopenspace intervention
When things go wrong with a booking, hosts and guests have two options: they may request compensation (a refund or additional fee), and they may also share their experiences publicly in a review. In order to encourage fair dispute resolution and an unbiased review system, hosts and guests must be able to use both of these tools.
For instance, if a host has a guest that breaks a house rule, we want that host to share their experience with future hosts and thisopenspace via the review. Additionally, there may be times that a guest breaks a house rule AND a host provides an unclean listing, so we don’t want to prohibit one party from participating in that feedback process.
That said, we will remove reviews in situations where we can determine that one party has attempted to extort the other to manipulate the content of the review. Additionally, if the review left after a dispute violates any of our content policies— for instance, it contains discriminatory content or a violent threat— the review will also be removed.
Conflict of interest
We will remove reviews where there are signals that the booking was made for the sole purpose of inflating a person’s overall rating, or where we suspect that the booking never occurred.
Accepting fake booking in exchange for a positive review, using a second account to review yourself or your own listing, or providing something of value in exchange for positive reviews, are not allowed. Violations may result in the restriction, suspension, or termination of your thisopenspace account.
Moderating for relevance
Reviews provide community members with information and insights that help them make better booking decisions. Reviews are most helpful when reviewers accurately recount their experience and provide their honest opinions.
Where a review contains information that is unrelated to an experience as a host or guest, or is focused on something beyond the control of the person being reviewed, our moderation team will weigh the relevance of the review by assessing:
- Does the review recount the reviewer's experience and provide their personal perspective?
- Is the review helpful to other members of the thisopenspace community? Does it provide essential information about a host, guest, or listing that would help others make more informed booking decisions?
If thisopenspace determines that the review contains no relevant information about a host, guest, or listing, the review will be removed. Reviews that contain mostly irrelevant information are also subject to removal, but only where the otherwise relevant information would not be expected to meaningfully inform the booking decisions of other community members.