What happens if a host wants to make a security deposit claim?
If the host makes a security deposit claim, the request will be reviewed by thisopenspace.
If and when a host makes a security deposit claim, it will be handled according to this article.
What to expect if a host makes a security deposit
If a host who required a security deposit says their property was damaged while a guest was at the space, or a guest had a late check-out, or a guest failed to adhere to the space rules, the guest can either agree to the full amount, agree to a different amount, or decline the request. Here’s the process:
Claims resolved directly between guest and host
- Within 48 hours of the check-out date, the host will message the guest of any security deposit claim being made.
- Within 48 hours of the check-out date, the host will also make a security deposit claim on thisopenspace. They’ll tell us why they are submitting the claim, the amount being claimed, and describe what happened. Depending on what happened, the amount the host claim may or may not be the same as the security deposit.
- The guest will receive an automated email from thisopenspace confirming the host has submitted a security deposit claim and that the security deposit authorization has been captured and a charge equal to the security deposit amount has been placed on the guest's payment method.
- If the guest agrees to pay the amount requested, the guest and host must share their resolution by emailing us. We'll confirm it with both parties, process the claim, and send the appropriate amounts to both parties, which usually takes 5 to 7 business days.
Disputed claims involving thisopenspace
If a guest and host do not reach a decision, they can escalate the claim and involve thisopenspace:
- Our support specialist will contact the host and guest by email to collect evidence. The host and guest have up to 7 days from the time a claim is initially made to provide all evidence.
- We will review all evidence submitted and available to us through the thisopenspace platform, including messages between host and guest. The review process can take 5 to 10 business days from the time that all evidence is submitted. We are not able to accept as evidence any communication outside of the thisopenspace platform. Find out more about why it's important to communicate through thisopenspace.
- We'll inform both parties of the resolution, process the claim, and send the appropriate amounts to both parties, which usually takes 5 to 7 business days.
By involving thisopenspace, both parties agree to accept the decision as final and binding.
Documentation from hosts
The host will provide documentation when they report the damaged or missing property, late check-outs, or failure to adhere to the space rules. This may include photos and/or video along with receipts, invoices, written estimates, or links to comparable items showing the actual cash value for repair or replacement. If we determine money is owed based on documentation and communication from both parties, we'll move forward with collecting from the security deposit. We reserve the right to collect payment from a guest using the payment details we have on file.